This place of worship is the oldest church in Frankfurt am Main. First erected in the 7th Century, a triple-nave basilica with a T-shaped ground plan and sandstone columns was added in the 9th Century. During the 15th Century, the building (then used as a parish church) slowly began to take the shape we know today, with its Gothic chancel, three chapels with fan vaults and a main portal. The column arcades from the original nave remain intact.
Mathildenhöhe is a popular event venue in the city that dates back to the 19th Century. Established as a garden in 1833, the venue is named after Mathilde Karoline Friederike von Wittelsbach, the wife of Ludwig III. In the 1870s, a chapel was built on the site. In 1899 the Künstlerkolonie was founded in Mathildenhöhe. It also comprises of the Hochzeitsturm and other exhibition buildings. Today, it hosts a slew of workshops, local events, cultural programs, exhibitions and special shows directed towards children.
St. Stephan, Mainz, known locally as St. Stephan zu Mainz is a collegiate church and has the oldest Gothic hall in the district of Upper Rhine. The church's history dates back to 990 CE when it was originally built. Over the centuries, the church has seen a lot of changes and rebuilding. It is famed for its unique blue Chagall choir windows created by renowned Russian Jewish artist Marc Chagall between 1978 - 1985. The nine stained glasses depict scenes from the Old Testament highlighting the common Christian and Jewish traditions and are done in luminescent blue. The church is also one of Mainz's important churches.
Tier- und Pflanzenpark Fasanerie was once a royal hunting area. Opened in 1955, its rolling hills, meadows, forest zone, lake and rivers is a haven for exotic and rare plants as well as for 50 European species. There is also a petting zoo for children. You can avail of their nature tours which are fun and informative at the same time. While touring, you get to encounter bears, lynxes, herons, wolves and many more. Later, head towards the former hunting lodge, which, now functions as a restaurant.
Situated near Main River, the Imperial Cathedral of Saint Bartholomew is one of the most historically rich monuments in the city. Its Gothic style structure has become a part of Frankfurt's skyline. With its origins dating back to 7th Century BCE, the church is steeped in Roman history. The cathedral is renowned for being a coronation church for Roman emperors from the years 1562 to 1792. Withstanding the Second World War, the church was rebuilt in the 1970s. Housing several relics and prized possessions, the sculpture by Hans Backoffen depicting a scene of Christ's crucifixion is a masterpiece belonging to the early Renaissance period. While its status as an imperial church declined after the Roman Empire's fall, it became a beacon of national integrity after the 19th Century.