Famously known as the "most beautiful street in America," the Hillhouse Avenue Historic District is a site that spreads over 18 acres of land. With several traditional homes located here dating to the 19th-century, the site also features homes of some renowned people. The site is worth a visit to watch the beautiful elite constructions of New Haven.
The Congregational United Church of Christ, as it is more formally known, has stood on the New Haven Green since 1639. The current Georgian structure dates to 1812. Architect Ithiel Town incorporated large windows into the design to capture sunshine, as there was no heating system. A beautiful Tiffany window, installed in 1890, depicts the Rev. John Davenport leading the first service in the new colony. The historic crypt contains the remains of Benedict Arnold's first wife. There is a small burial ground behind the church, where regicide John Dixwell is laid to rest.
Marsh Botanical Garden is situated within the precincts of Yale University. Its name pays tribute to Othniel Charles Marsh, who bestowed this property upon the university. Beatrix Farrand planned the landscape of the garden that houses a wide variety of plant species. Faculty, students, nature lovers, researchers and many other visitors head to this botanical gardens that has four greenhouses, perennial beds, seasonal plants and much more.
Located in the Yale University Campus,the Grove Street Cemetery dates back to being established in the late 18th Century. This cemetery was built in 1796 and was declared as a National Historic Landmark in 2000. Many notable historical figures from Yale and New Haven are buried here, including 14 Yale University's presidents. Tours are available during summers and early winters and show the burial sites of notable people here.
The New Haven Town Green is one of New England's oldest, completed in 1638. Portions of the Green were used as a cemetery until the 1820s when the headstones were moved to the new Grove Street Cemetery. The 16-acre public park is a popular site for concerts and picnics, and an overall excellent gathering place for locals and tourists alike. The Green is also the location of an Amistad memorial. Along the Green there are three churches built in the 1810s: Center Church, United Church and Trinity Church.
Located in New Haven's historic and vibrant downtown area, and bordered by Yale University, Chapel Street and the eponymous historic district that surrounds it have been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1984. Take a stroll down the street to check out the plethora of architectural styles represented here in one of New Haven's most well known areas. Nowadays most of the buildings date from the 18th Century through the 20th Century.