Set Current Location
|Monday to Sunday||07:00 AM to 08:30 PM|
Situated in the first arrondissement of Paris, Louvre Palace is a beautiful and historical attraction visited by many. A section of this iconic palace houses the world renowned Louvre Museum. This magnificent building was first used as the royal residence in the 14th Century under the reign of Charles V. The Louvre Palace has been modified and expanded many times over the years. As a result, the palace complex is divided into the Old Louvre and the New Louvre. The Old Louvre consists of mainly buildings from the Renaissance period and the New Louvre consists of buildings that were built in the 19th Century.
Galerie Colbert is a magnificent passageway located in the 2nd Arrondissement of the city. The historic gallery was established in 1827 and was renovated in 1980. It was designed by architect Jacques Billaud and is known for its marvelous glass dome. It is home to many significant institutions like Institut National d’Histoire de l’Art, National Heritage Institution, and Centre André-Chastel. Several exhibitions are held here throughout the year. The gallery is also available for hosting conferences and meetings.
Founded by Louis XIII in 1629, Basilique de Notre-Dame des Victoires is a historic landmark in Paris' 2nd arrondissement. Featuring an organ dating from 1739, the church occasionally hosts choral and classical concerts. For further Tourist Information, contact +33 8 3668 3112.
Five renowned French academies meet inside the Institut de France. The grandiose building runs along the Seine River, just a short walk across the Pont des Arts from the Louvre. Architect Louis Le Vau originally designed the building to be the College of the Four Nations, a school for young noblemen of provinces France had conquered. Since 1805, it has been the headquarters of the Institut de France. The institute manages about 1000 foundations, museums and castles in the country. The most important of these assemblies is l Académie Française, whose official task is to publish the official dictionary on the French language. The Institut de France offers guided tours on Saturdays, Sundays and national holidays at 3p by reservation only. -Betsy Mikel
Located in the garden of Les Halles near the Bourse du Commerce (Stockmarket) of Paris, the Medicis column, built in 1574 by the architect Jean Bullant for Catherine de Medicis, is what remains of the Queen s hotel. This column is 31 meters (100 feet) high, with interior stairs counting 147 steps; its real function was never established. It is believed that due to the Queen s interest for astrology, it used to be an observatory for Cosimo Ruggieri, Catherine de Médicis astrologist. In 1748, as the hotel was due to be demolished in order to enable the construction of a new corn exchange, M. Bachaumont saved it from demolition and offered it to the city of Paris. The reason explaining the rescue is still mysterious. For more information contact the city's Tourist Information Center on +33 8 3668 3112.
This palace, whose size is simply stunning, was built by Brongniart at the request of Napoléon I in 1808. It was home to the Stock Exchange from 1826 until the end of the 20th Century. The majestic neoclassical facade is perfectly in keeping with its importance in the life of the capital. The allegorical statues represent Commerce, Justice, Agriculture and Industry. The building was extended in 1909 and the Salle de la Corbeille was added. The corbeille (a circular room surrounded by a railing, against which brokers would stand) was the bustling center of Paris' financial growth. When the stock market was computerized, the palace was transformed into a conference center. Most of the financial results are still announced from there.
Who is Jean Sans Peur ("Fearless John")? He is the man responsible for the Hundred Years' War. His big mistake? Murdering Louis d'Orléans in 1407. Halfway up the tower where he used to live, you can find an enchanting vault encrusted with leafy greenery. The structure also houses the council of the duke of Burgundy. The vault of the large screw is one of the masterpieces of the French Gothic sculpture.